“Courageous wings make things go far, lingering solitude can rip them off. So let the wind cross your ash thoughts giving you the strength to carry on.”
Hey guys, long time no see! I’m sorry I’ve been gone for so long! I know that I promised you a lot of things and I’m really sorry for breaking all of them… Real Estate, Milky Chance, Jukebox the Queen, and so much more… and I didn’t deliver on any of it… To be honest, I’ve started and stopped writing this about 15 times over the past 6 months. I haven’t been able to give this my full effort and I keep questioning why not. This blog used to be second nature for me but recently it has just felt like work. I started writing this because I loved to share music with people, especially music they may not have otherwise found on their own. That love and that passion hasn’t gone anywhere, it’s still one of my favorite things to do, I’ve just unfortunately let life stuff get in the way and lost sight of what’s important to me.
Like I said, I’ve started and stopped writing this piece about 15 times. Constantly wondering what I should write about, how much I should share, and if anyone would even care… My therapist asked me what I was afraid of, what was keeping me from writing this? There was clearly a block as I wouldn’t have started and stopped so often if I didn’t want to do this. I didn’t have an answer for her then and I’m not sure I do now, everything I could think of I just shot down immediately. “What’s the point, nobody even reads this?” That never mattered to me before, why should it now? I’m happy if even one person reads this. “It’s too difficult and time consuming.” This blog used to be second nature, I could do it in my sleep and I loved doing it. Plus, it’s mine and mine alone, I don’t have an editor setting rules of what I can and can’t do, I can write whatever I want… It doesn’t have to be difficult. I think the answer lies not with anything specifically to do with this blog, but with my deeper problems of the past year. To make a long story short, my life fell apart and I’ve been left trying to pick up the pieces one by one. A lot of the pieces have been glued back together and I like to think that this is the last one that’s missing. So here I am… making an effort to pick up that last piece and hoping that it brings me the happiness and fulfillment that it did when I first started writing this.
Anyways…. Enough about me…. I actually have new music to share with you all!!! This is not in any particular order other than what came to mind first but below is the new music I’ve been listening to lately. Hope you guys take a listen and enjoy it!
- Magic Giant
- Magic Giant came to my attention a couple years ago with Glass Heart, an indie folk song that reminded me a lot of a more upbeat Mumford and Sons and The Lumineers. This year they have released two singles that I’ve absolutely fell in love with called Set on Fire and Jade. The band is currently working on an album that is set to be released in May, and is also currently touring and will be in Chicago on April 24th (I plan on being there.) This is a band you should be paying attention to! Album review to come in May!
- Real Estate – In Mind
- Real Estate is a band that has been around for a while now but In Mind is their first album in quite some time. I usually describe their music as the kind of music you can listen to while laying out in a field by yourself on a beautiful summer day and watching the birds and clouds pass by above. No, I’ve never actually done that (as an adult), but their music makes me want to. I think you’ll understand once you give them a listen. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
- Milky Chance – Blossom
- I’m sure you’ve probably heard of Milky Chance before, so this recommendation isn’t exactly earth shattering, but a lot of people I’ve talked to recently didn’t know they had a new album so I felt compelled to put them on here. I think Blossom is their best effort yet and I’ve had it on repeat since it was released a few weeks ago. My favorites are Cocoon, Ego, and Firebird, but the whole album is really fantastic and worth a listen or 5.
- Jukebox the Ghost – Stay the Night
- If you’ve ever met me then you’ve definitely heard of Jukebox the Ghost! Definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. I’ve seen these guys live 6 times now (I think… maybe 7?) and they have never disappointed. I am extremely excited to say that they are working on a new album and just released their first single from it called Stay the Night. Queen has always been a big influence on their music (hence the wonderfully amazing HalloQueen concert they put on in NYC) but this song takes that up another notch or two. Lose yourself in this song and you’ll swear you’re listening to Freddie Mercury himself. They are on tour right now in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Michigan. Do yourself a favor and go see these guys!
- COIN is a band I’ve written about on here before and have been a big fan of for quite some time. They are an indie pop band from Nashville that hit the scene in 2015 with their single Run. Since then they have put out a few new singles of which Talk Too Much has garnered the most attention. They are currently on tour and will be releasing an album on April 21st which I am very excited about! Another album review to come soon! J Unfortunately the Chicago show is already sold out, but go check them out if they are coming anywhere near you!
- I feel like all of my favorite bands are working on albums right now and I could not possibly be more ecstatic about it! Another favorite of mine, Misterwives, has been releasing singles for the past few months and is set to release a new album in mid-May. They will be on tour from April through July and if you have a chance you should definitely go see them as well. Misterwives easily puts on one of the top 5 live shows I have ever seen and they never disappoint!
That’s all I’ve got for now friends. Hopefully I’ve given you plenty of new music to check out and occupy you for a while! I’ll be in touch again with more on all of the new albums coming out over the next few months!!
Much love to you all!